Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blackberry Syrup


Made this last night with my last pick of blackberries and it is fab. This weekend is probably your last chance to pick and you may have to search. In Marley park last sunday there were still lots of red ones about. This recipe (minus the lemon) is adapted from Larrousse Gastronomique.

Put 1 kilo of picked-over de-stalked blackberries in a shallow bowl with a glass of water (about 8fl oz) and leave over night (or for three days like I did). Pour the lot into a food processor or blender and whizz to extract as much juice as possible. Push the pulp through a sieve, scraping to get as much flesh as you can. Add 400g/12oz of caster sugar and stir until the sugar disolves. I heated it slightly to aid the process but be very careful as heat will destroy some of the flavour (and vitamin c). I then added the juice of half a lemon as I felt the taste needed it. Bottle filling to within a inch or two of the top. I filed 2 old grolsch bottles but I am sure plastic coke bottles will work just as well.

I will pour this on ice-cream and apple tarts and crumbles, make kir and other cocktails with it and I also reckon I could add a glass of it to double cream and make into ice-cream as my blackberry ice cream recipe is almost identical.

Note: adding the lemon adds pectin so it will thicken or even solidify a little - but I feel this is not a bad thing.

No comments: