Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Walnuts


Walnuts - More of the treasures of Autumn if you know where to look. My hands are black from peeling these damn things (apparantly when they had an empire British chaps used to use juice from walnut husks to disguise themselves as natives and head down to the marketplace in Kabul or New Delhi to find out what the natives were thinking - or so my friend Dermot tells me!)

Best to remove the green husk after a few days as it is easy to break the shell if you do it too soon. They take a few days to dry out but taste fantastic. I seem to have left it too late for Hazelnuts as all I could find were empty husks around my usual tree but I am determined to get a good haul of chestnuts this year - St. Endas has dozens of trees but I reckon the ones in the Phoenix Park will yield better results.

No comments: